This paper looks at new cases involving medical privacy and the media.
Respecting patient’s privacy should include protection against unauthorized recording of the patient’s image by the media or others.
- Social attitudes to health have changed somewhat, and people today discuss medical problems more openly than in the past.
- Sharing information about one’s medical problems can be comforting, and can help obtain needed assistance.
- New laws have been passed to protect the privacy of patient’s medical records.
- These laws, which protect data, do not alone ensure that patients’ wishes for seclusion or respectful treatment will be heeded.
- Doctors or emergency crews that photograph, record, or broadcast distressing images of medical patients may face liability for malpractice, the infliction of emotional distress, or other lawsuits.